WESTERN ART PRINT ROOM
Works on paper fade quickly when exposed to light and are extremely fragile, making it impossible to keep them on permanent display.
The Ashmolean’s Print Room offers access to beautiful and significant drawings, watercolours and prints by a wide range of artists from the fifteenth century to the present day including Michelangelo, Rubens, Ruskin and Degas, among others.
Open Tuesday–Friday, 10.30am–12.30pm and 2–4pm
In addition, the Print Room will be open on the following Saturdays, 10.30am–12.30pm and 2–4pm:
11 Feb, 18 Feb, 11 Mar, 18 Mar, 15 Apr, 13 May, 20 May, 10 Jun, 17 Jun, 8 Jul and 15 Jul
Easter closure: The Print Room will be closed for the Easter weekend, from Fri 7 to Mon 10 Apr, inclusive. We will reopen on Tue 11 Apr.
August closure: The Print Room will be closed for 2 weeks during August for digitisation work, Sat 5 – Mon 21 Aug, inclusive. We will reopen on Tue 22 Aug.
Admission is FREE but pre-booking is recommended.
- We recommend that visitors book an appointment at least one week in advance
- If you are running late or need to cancel your appointment, please let our Print Room staff know as soon as possible
- Drop-in appointments will be accommodated where possible, but must be requested before 3pm
We recommend that visitors book an appointment at least one week in advance.
Click on the link below to book via our online form, or contact us by email or phone.
Print Room staff will continue to wear face coverings.
- For the safety of staff and fellow Print Room users we encourage visitors to wear a face covering inside the Museum, and read more about COVID-19 safety within the Museum
Visitors who need to see more than 10 works should let the Print Room staff know when booking their appointment
- Works must be requested in advance
Read our full visiting guide (PDF)
DURING YOUR VISIT
To access the Print Room, talk to our staff at the Museum's Information Desk on the Ground Floor. They will arrange your visit and show you how to find us.
When visiting the Print Room
- all bags must be left in our lockers
- please only use pencils (not propelling pencils) to make notes
- no food, drink or chewing gum is allowed
There is no lift access to the Print Room, but we can make items from the collection available to you if you have difficulty with stairs. Please let us know in advance if you would like to arrange this.
Michelangelo and Raphael’s drawings are some of the most popular works in the collection. They are also very fragile, so in order to preserve these works for future generations, we ask that you book well in advance in writing.
Do you have a work of art on which you’d like an expert opinion? Our curatorial staff are available for comment.
Please contact us in advance, ideally by e-mail, sending images of the work.
We cannot comment on valuation or accept liability for any opinion expressed.
Western Art Print Room
Tel: +44 (0)1865 288289; +44 (0)1865 278049
The Print Room is currently experiencing a high demand for appointments, and so please make your request at least one week in advance.