1. The purchase of a digital image (or print) does not in itself carry with it the right to make a reproduction in any form. Copyright in all images provided by the Museum remains the property of the Ashmolean. Images of works by living artists or those whose works are still in artists’ copyright require additional permissions from the relevant estate(s) to be cleared before they can be used for anything other than private study. The Picture Library cannot undertake the securing of additional permissions on the enquirer’s behalf, but may be able to provide advice on how to find the contact details for some copyright holders.
2. If an image is required for publication (in any format), an application must be made to the Picture Library to secure reproduction rights. If applicable, a charge for the appropriate reproduction fee will be issued along with the image supply fee (where relevant); further academic/ educational discounts are applied at the discretion of the Picture Library. Permission to reproduce images is dependent on full acceptance of the Terms and Conditions found within this document, and is automatically abrogated if any part is infringed.
i. The acknowledgement ‘Image © Ashmolean Museum, University of Oxford’ will appear in the caption/credit line for each reproduction.
ii. No reproduction will be used for commercial advertising without specific permission and each will appear without significant overprinting or any other impairment of its integrity as a work of art. Where only a part of a work is reproduced with the specific permission of the Picture Library, the word ‘detail’ will be included in the caption.
iii. No work of art will be reproduced at larger than life-size without specific permission from the Picture Library.
iv. Images reproduced online should only be downloadable at a maximum size of 1000 pixels on the longest side (at 72ppi) in order to protect the Museum's IP. Images reproduced in hard copy publications should be reproduced at 300dpi minimum from a sufficiently large file to ensure the highest quality reproductions.
v. Images which have not been supplied by the Ashmolean should be sent to the Picture Library for quality checking before authorisation to reproduce them is granted. Please send the full-size image(s) to be assessed along with your application. The Picture Library reserves right of refusal to grant permission to reproduce images of objects from the Ashmolean's collections which are not of sufficient quality
vi. All rights granted are non-exclusive and a new application must be made for any new editions, reprints or further use of images (50% discount on standard fees will apply), unless specific rights in perpetuity have been granted (in exceptional circumstances.)
vii. No other person or organisation will be permitted to use the images supplied by the Ashmolean other than for the purpose(s) stated on the original reproduction rights application.
3. Digital media and advertising uses are granted for 5 year, 10 years or in perpetuity.
4. If works are going on loan to an organisation, image supply fees will be payable but reproduction rights are waived to use the image(s) in the exhibition catalogue, for exhibition-related press and promotion, and for other educational and non-commercial uses for the duration of the exhibition.
5. Refunds for reproduction rights applied for but not used can be offered (please contact a member of the Picture Library for more information) but refunds for image supply cannot be offered; exchanges may be made in exceptional circumstances (please contact a member of the Picture Library for more information.)
For further information or discussion of specific uses, please contact the Picture Library directly via the contact details listed above.